Friday 5 May 2017

Cold, Wet and Windy with the Cuckoo in Timmerlah..

It's interesting to watch men at work.
 
 Some awful weather here for the beginning of May, although I seem to remember,  that this time last year, I had to borrow a warm coat from a friend, so no change really.   What has changed though is the view from my front window.   A Netto supermarket is taking shape, and will be opened in mid June.   At the moment the village has no shops, so it is much needed, but it is a shame it has to be in front of my window.


This roof edge will  soon have a bright orange Netto placard.  Shame it's not green.
 
 Where once were green fields, I now have the end of a building jutting into the landscape.  The space to the right will soon be occupied by a new fire station, so the village's gain is my loss.   Never mind, my neighbours need the shop, and I can still see the brocken over the top of the roofs.


Mrs Cuckoo has arrived in Timmerlah.
 
I did my usual 3.5 mile walk to Weststadt for some groceries this morning, and on the way back I heard the cuckoo in the woods. for the first time this year.   I  know it's a sign of spring, but why did nature chose a bird with nasty habits to herald in the summer. 
 
How interesting it would be to go back in time, and follow the development of this bird, to discover exactly where it learnt it's "let's toss other birds' babies out of the nest" skills.  
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Still a cold easterly blowing here, but at least it's sunny. Just bought a tree! I'd looked at dozens of small, weeping trees as that's the shape I wanted. Ended up with a weeping cotoneaster: amazingly it ticks all my boxes and appears to be a sturdy, evergreen little plant. It'll survive anything - or so it says! XX

    ReplyDelete