Tuesday 23 June 2015

The Thlokomela Choir from Windhoek, Namibia singing in the Cathedral.

The Thlokomela Choir from Windhoek, Namibia.
 
I popped into the cathedral at 5pm today, as I often do after shopping or returning home from somewhere or other, to listen to the short service and organ music.    The service is spoken in German that is slow enough for me to understand, and today, instead of the usual two short organ works during the service, a choir visiting from Namibia sang four pieces of music for us.  Their voices sounded wonderful in the great, open space of the building.
 
Their first piece was "Wachet Auf, ruft uns die Stimme," cantata 140 by JS Bach. The warmth of the choir's voices added an extra emotional edge to the music, and I was almost in tears at the sound,  which included that particular "click" that some African languages have.  They sang a German folk song to finish, "Wenn alle Brunnlein fließen," a song I have sung here with a Braunschweig Choir.
 
The choir performs in a concert in the Cathedral tomorrow evening at 7pm, and I shall certainly go along and listen to their songs.  


 

No comments:

Post a Comment