Monday 26 June 2017

On The Road Again, this time off to Saarland.

 We boarded our coach at 7am on Thursday morning 22nd June, ready for the journey to our hotel in St Wendel, Saarland.
 
 We had a breakfast stop at 9am in a woodland picnic area near Würzberg. I must admit to not having a clue where we were, having left my map of the journey at home in Timmerlah!

 Our afternoon treat was a guided tour of Frankfurt am Main Airport in a hot coach at 33c.  Not my idea of fun, but the tour was very interesting.  Our guide seemed extremely pleased about GB´s Brexit decision, which meant more opportunities for the financial sector in Frankfurt.  He agreed with me, that the UK had shot itself in the foot.   Hi di ho!
 
I had forgotten to bring a copy of my passport with me, and thought that I might have problems going on the guided tour.  We had to go through an airline check of handbags and a body search before the visit, but I got my ticket and all clear without a mention of checking my identity.  Unlike in GB, every German citizen has an identity card, which must be carried at all times.  I normally have my passport copy with me in my bus and train ticket wallet, but as I didn´t need my ticket, I left the copy at home.  I won´t do that again, as for four days I was wondering around Germany without any identity papers, with only my friends knowing who I was!
 
The temperature outside was 33c, but inside was air conditioned, so a little more comfortable.  Here the coach is passing the Lufthansa terminal.  Frankfurt is the busiest hub airport in Europe, and the second biggest after London Heathrow in Europe.

Frankfurt Airport - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankfurt_Airport
Frankfurt Airport (IATA: FRA, ICAO: EDDF) (German: Flughafen Frankfurt am Main, also known as Rhein-Main-Flughafen) is a major international ...

 The courtyard dining room in the Angel Hotel, St Wendel.  The food and service were excellent.

Sankt Wendel - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sankt_Wendel
Coordinates: Coordinates: Country: Germany: State: Saarland: District: Sankt Wendel: Government • Mayor: Peter Klär : Area • Total: 113.54 km
 

Our hotel is to the left in this photo in the old fruit market place.

Angel's - das Hotel am Fruchtmarkt, Sankt Wendel, Germany

https://www.booking.com/hotel/de/angel-s-das-am-fruchtmarkt.html
Angel's - das Hotel am Fruchtmarkt This property has agreed to be part of our Preferred Property Program, which groups together properties that stand out.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment