Monday 27 May 2013

Fog to the South, Fog to the West and Mist to the East!

 Fog to the south where the "Brocken" and wind park should be!

It is nice to read on the weather gadgets on my desktop, that the temperature today in the UK is 17c, and here it is only 9c.   It is really damp and so cold here, and I really hope it cheers up soon.  I went to the two English groups today, where we celebrated my return, and drank wine and ate crisps and chocolate and attempted to speak English and German.  It was so good to see eveyone again, and it feels as if I never left last September.   I walked back from Gliesmarode into the city, a walk of about a mile, and I feel much better for some exercise.  The rain had stopped, but it is now pouring down again.

I bought my senior's monthly travel card, so I now have unrestricted use of the trams and buses within the Braunschweig area until this time in June.   I really enjoy travelling on the trams, and it is nice to hear again with the familiar sounds they make as the doors open, or as they screech and clank around corners.   Some of the older,  and not so mother and pushchair friendly trams have been replaced, and the new ones are easier to enter, which is a great help when struggling with a heavy suitcase.   Circular tramways around a large city are a great asset for ease of travel, and  I can now hop on and off at will, and enjoy once again this interesting city.


 Fog to the west where Weststadt and the tower blocks should be!

I'm not sure yet what crop is growing in this field this year.  Last year it was short stemmed wheat, and in 2011 there was a crop of beet.  This looks like silage growing in the waterlogged field, so I shall watch it grow and probably be here when it is harbested.

Fog in the distance to the east, but no wind park to be seen.

The old petrol station is still standing with 9 cents a litre being displayed.  Oh those were the days!  My neighbours vegetable garden is much reduced, with new turf reducing its size.  It has some potatoes growing in the sodden ground, and I can see the tops of some spring onions.  The car that belonged to my neighbour who died last year, is still standing in the garage with weeds growing around its flat tyres.  I felt rather sad when I saw it, and remembered the nice old man and his ginger cat, that would slap me around the ankles if I didn't pay her enough attention.   It is good to be back in my second home.

No comments:

Post a Comment