Wednesday 29 May 2013

Out in the Rain in Braunschweig.

A friend gave me a lift to the shops this morning, which was a great help, as I was able to stock up with the heavy stuff, such as jars of good German sausages and gurken, tins of fish in curry sauce and cartons of milk, that are heavy to carry home.   I like to take a daily 3km walk to and from the local REWE (a bit like Tesco) but I couldn't refuse the offer of help with the bulky stuff.  The photo to the right shows my flat, at the top of the little white house left.  One of the windows is that of my bedroom, and the lounge is the extension almost lost in the greenery left of the gable.   I walk from there along a lovely path through the fields, which evenually brings me to the Weststadt Straßenbahn terminus.  

It is a great pity that the line does not continue into Timmerlah, as it would make life so much easier for all concerned.    If I don´t feel like walking back, I must catch a bus to travel the last 2 miles of the journey along Timmerlahstraße to my home.

Saalestraße tram stop.

An M3  tram runs every ten minutes, and this one can be seen pulling into Saalestraße.   This tram travels maybe 10 miles right across town to the other side of Braunschweig, and together with the M1, M2, M4 and M5 trams, provides an excellent "hop on,hop off" service all around the city.  I buy a monthly seniors' pass, which at £12 per month gives me unlimited travel on trams and buses with the city zone.   

A wet and dreary looking Lion Monument near the Cathedral.

This was first visit into town to attempt some shoe shopping.  I have arrived with a pair of blue shoes that are starting to drop off my feet, so I need to hunt for a sensible pair.  The pair I liked were the most expensive of course, so I delayed buying and will look around for something similar but cheaper.   

I went into the cathedral to pick up a programme of events for June, and noticed that the Bath school children's concert takes place on Thursday 9th June.  More about this nearer the occasion.   The heavens opened several times this afternoon, and after a visit to "Graf" my favourite book shop, and with no umbrella, I caught the tram and bus back to a warm cup of tea with the central heating on!  Where is the summer?

No comments:

Post a Comment