Wednesday 22 July 2015

A Midsummer Evening's Opera in the Burgplatz.

 The programme for A Masked Ball, by Guiseppe Verdi.

My dear friends M and R bought me a ticket for the opera,(I bought the sweets) and we had a wonderful evening in the openair arena in the Burgplatz in front of the cathedral.  I read the story of the opera the day before, so did have some idea of what was happening!   I think I missed much, but the singing was wonderful, and made the whole experience a pleasure.


 A warm evening in the Burgplatz, with Schloss Dankwarderode, Henry the Lion's Palace in the background.

The Wiki link below will give you the story, plus tell you of the problems Verdi had with the censors during the writing of this work.

Un ballo in maschera - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Un_ballo_in_maschera
Un ballo in maschera (A Masked Ball) is an opera in three acts by Giuseppe Verdi with text by Antonio Somma. However, Somma's libretto was itself based on the five ...
 
 
 Floodlights against the background on the Palace and the tower of the Rathaus.


Henry's Lion on its plinth stands hidden for the duration of the opera.


The stage and a part of the audience.


A sneaky photo of the action taken by my friend ???????

No comments:

Post a Comment