Sunday 5 July 2015

Hiding from the Heatwave in Braunschweig.

The cathedral and several flower stalls.
 
Normally the stalls occupy the Domplatz,  the area beside the cathedral, but because it was so hot at 37c, many had set up stalls in the shade in the place where I took this photograph.  I felt sorry for the stallholders, who could not have done much business throughout the day.  I visited the market before the organ recital, and few people were about, and when I came out, it still seemed deserted.  It is normally a busy place, thronging with customers.


In the shade behind the cathedral.
 
On the cathedral  wall, almost in the centre of the photograph is a statue of the "Sorrowing Woman," a memorial to those who died in the bombing raids on Braunschweig in February and March 1944.  Every year on the anniversary, roses are laid at her feet by member of the German and British communities in Braunschweig. 

Blooming marvellous!

Cactus plants in their element!

My shady bower in the Botanical Garden.
 
The gardens make a good retreat on really hot days and,  as a gentle wind was blowing, it was cool and pleasant.   I sat on the bench at the far end, with the River Oker flowing past to my left, and all was peaceful until a couple came and sat on the bench beside me!   So much space, but beside me!   The man engaged his partner in loud conversation, although she stayed somewhat mute!    I'm not surprised that she chose not to join in, as he obviously liked doing all the talking!    Needless to say, I moved somewhere else for peace and quiet.  I was glad the day was over, as extreme heat is not my cup of tea!

No comments:

Post a Comment