Tuesday 7 July 2015

Big Bangs, Lightning and a Mini Hurricane in Timmerlah.

 The approaching storm clouds, that contained a mini hurricane.
 
We had one hell of a storm here last Sunday evening, which arrived with a mini hurricane, and departed leaving fallen trees and a complete mess on the flooded streets.  We were not as badly affected as Braunschweig, but I took precautions, and packed my passport, cash, Kindle, mobile phone and charger in a bag for a quick exit from the house, should it have been hit by lightning.
 
I have never experienced wind of that strength before, and I have read in the local newspaper this morning, it caused havoc at Schloss Richmond, which was hosting a weekend of arts and drama acitivities.   One minute the audience were watching an act on stage, the next all hell let lose, and tents were flung into the air, families ran for their lives, and the whole experience must have been absolutely terrifying.   Many cars and homes were damaged in the city, and the clean up is still continuing.

 How's that for a storm cloud, somewhat alarming I think.
 
I had several windows open, and as the wind arrived so suddenly has to dash and hold down anything that could fly on the windowsill.    Something flew out, and it took me a day to realised that it was a piece of card on which was written the key number to connect me to B's home hub and the internet.  I did go searching in the garden on Monday, but I fear the card and its number have flown off to distant Berlin!
 
 A distant police car with lights flashing, stopped the traffic where a tree had fallen across the road.
 
 Flattened corn left in the wake of the whirlwind.
 
A huge cornfield is outside my window, which before the storm stood upright and orderly.  The photo does not show clearly the damage done to the crop, which has now been flattened in several places.  I have stayed here long enough to view the crop rotation, and I think I am due a field of rape or beet next year. 
 
We had another storm last night, but escaped lightly.  That was not the case in the west of the country, where several buildings were hit by lightning, or had roofs torn off.   Not pleasant weather, but at least it is only 20c this morning. Thank goodness for small mercies.


No comments:

Post a Comment