Tuesday 22 May 2012

Nothing in Particular on a quietish Tuesday.

Road repairs.
Well the day started quietly enough until I heard the sound of car horns, the screeching of brakes, and the chug of what sounded like a bulldozer!   It was a large lorry pulling a smaller truck, which was piling gravel onto the side of the road.  In the lower picture you can just see the arm sticking out the side of the green cab,   left of the hedge.  This road is busy in the morning, but at least this week this work started after the rush.   Last week in the middle of the morning rush hour, work started on the repairs to two tightish bends further down the road to the left.  At the temporary traffic lights, a long queue of discontented commuters built up outside my window, and backed up  through Timmerlah. 

Then the buses ran late, so all in all, it was not a happy time for any of us.  Of course, in the afternoon and evening rush, there was a repeat performance of the mega hold ups.

The lorry empties gravel into a small spreader truck.
Today has been very hot, much too hot at 28c. The hobby group meets here on a Tuesday afternoon, so this morning I had to nip out for orange juice, refreshments and salad stuff.   I was sitting at the bus stop, when a friend pulled up in her car and said,  "Jump in, I'm going to "Real," you can shop there."   "Real" is a huge out of town mega supermarket, the sort of place where you cannot find anything that's on your shopping list.   I pottered, and found everything except for a can of my favourite mackerel fillets in curry sauce, but I have two tins in my larder already, so I won't starve.  

I was back home within an hour, did a little housework, (not much, it was tooo hot,)  then drank two glasses of orange juice while watching a repeat of Maria Sharapova defeating Na Li in the ladies tennis from Rome.

Repairing the other side of the road, you can see the spreader arm clearly here.
We had a nice afternoon sewing, knitting and chatting.   M shortened some jeans she has been meaning to do for the last year, and I did the same with a pair of mine, and now that they are finished, I don't know why it took me two years to get around to the job.  C is knitting a pretty summer top for her proposed cycling holiday from Munich to Innsbruck, then over the Alps to Venice.   No, No, definitly not a holiday for me, never in a thousand years will you get me on a bike again!

No comments:

Post a Comment