Saturday 5 May 2012

A PowerPoint Talk about Devizes and a VW Car Transporter.

The PowerPoint title page on my laptop
It is raining here in Timmerlah this morning, my friends in England will enjoy this bit of information!  Last Thursday evening I gave a talk to the German/ English Association in BS, with a PowerPoint display of photos of my home town of Devizes in  Wilsthire.  I cannot post any photos from the talk, so I've done the next best thing, and photographed the title page on my laptop.  I talked for an hour, and showed 35 photos, all the most interesting I could find, including Morris Dancing, handbell ringing, walking, singing  and boating on the K&A canal.   Someone once mentioned to me,  "Death by PowerPoint," if  a talk is boring, and the photos not full of interest, then your audience is likely to fall asleep on you!  

Well all 20 members of my audience stayed awake, and listened intently to my talk about enjoying life in general, and drinking beer in Devizes pubs in particular.   These are my two main interests in life, and I can talk about them for hours on end if necessary.   Hahaha!
VW cars from Wolfsburg, being transported by rail for distribution.  Broitzem Church spire is in the distance.
The railwayline from the Volkswagen car factory  in Wolfsburg to distribution points throughout Germany, runs some distance from my front window.  This photo shows half the length of a train transporter, which must be carrying a day's worth of finished cars ready for sale.  I'm always amazed at the length of German trains, even the "ICE" the Intercity Express trains are 14 coaches long.  Our historic railway system in GB does not lend itself to trains of great length, or to the convenient doubledecker regional trains, that can accommodate eight coach loads of passengers into four coaches.  Our bridges are too low. 

No comments:

Post a Comment