Tuesday 16 July 2013

Bronze Sculptures in the Botanical Garden.

This Botanical Garden is part of Braunschweig University, is a most wonderful place in which to sit and wander.  It's stands in the middle of a city beside the River Oker, and is always shady, cool and quiet, and a great place to hide from the heat.  I returned today to find out more details about the sculptures that grace the garden. "Adam" here was sculpted by Sabine Hoppe, an artist who lives in Braunschweig. He has a very determined look on his face, and is maybe, searching for his Eve, who is nowhere to be seen unless................................................

Eve is the "Lady in the Ravine."  She sits on the other side of the stream, and it is not possible to jump across to see if a plaque gives her a name and creator.   I did ask a nice young man in German in the "Fern House" if he knew anything about her, and he answered me in impeccable English, "No, I'm afraid I don't."   Well I tried!

"The Lady in the Ravine" aka Eve?

What a nice place to sit and watch the never ending rivulets, flowing over the stone steps of the cascade

"The Lady in the Ravine," and showing the entire cascade surrounded with ferns.

"Gänseblume" by Sylla Molsaln. (not sure of the artist´s name, as it was difficult to decypher.)

I like these two huge daises, so boldly, and simply sculpted.

 Professor Johann Heinrich Blasius, the founder of the Botanical Garden.

A red squirrel enjoy the warmth.

I have seen red squirrels in Timmerlah woods on several occasions, but this was the first time I was able to take a good photo.   I spotted him scurrying towards me from under some bushes, and he conveniently hopped up onto the bench around a nearby tree, and I was able to catch him at the one moment he stood still.   I wonder what his name is?

No comments:

Post a Comment