Tuesday 23 July 2013

Trainspotting.

All rational thought on my part is now suspended until this current impossible heatwave disappears.  In temperatures of over 30c every day, it is not possible for me to go blog news gathering, especially when the trams are not running from Weststadt into the city. Nobert and Brian, the Pied Piper and a postcard of my man JS Bach spent some time this morning train spotting from the front window, that was until the sun forced us to close the blinds.  I then hung out the washing on the patio while Norbert watched two  trains pass by.   He is wearing his "much too small for me" sunhat!  I do dread this weather, as I like to walk everyday for my health and sense of mental well being.  I cannot sleep properly without some exercise each day.   

Yesterday I walked from the English groups, who meet in the Gliesmarode community centre, into the city, a walk of about a mile, and I managed to stay in the shade of the tall buildings, where it was surprisingly cool and windy.   

In the photo above the 10.20am regional double decker train from Braunschweig to Hannover can be seen passing our front window.   This train does the BS, Hannover, Peine, BS loop every hour, and is the train I take to Hannover Airport, a journey of about 40 minutes.  Most passengers like to sit in the upper deck, which gives a wonderful view of the flat, passing countryside. 

 The Pied Piper pipes for the two coach regional train to Goslar in the Harz Mountains.

This little train travels from BS to Goslar, a lovely town nestled at the foot of the Harz Mountains.  It is a town of traditionally built, half timbered German houses, and the castle was the former home of the Dukes of Braunschweig before they moved into the city in middle ages.

 Norbert dances with death on the terrace rail.

An ICE express travels into BS left, with a regional locomotive bringing up the rear.  On the horizon can be seen the telecommunications mast in Broitsam, a small satilite town in the distance.  The tram is not running from there either, which means very crowded replacement buses.

A distant Norbert on the terrace rail, watches the ICE express go by.

This train travels to Hannover (right of photo,) and onwards via Frankfurt, Stuttgart and Freiburg  to terminate in Basel in Switzerland.   Not only am I good at memorising bus timetables, I have developed a thorough knowledge of the Lower Saxony railway system!   No,  not quite true, although I can tell the time by the passing of the regional trains.  

The photo was taken on the terrace, with the white bricked well seen in the background. 
This, and the white stepping stones across the garden, can be cleary seen on the Google Earth image of my flat.   It is 11.55 here, and already 28c!   Oh for the coolness of a damp day in Devizes.


No comments:

Post a Comment