Wednesday 10 July 2013

Looking for the Schul-and Bürgergarten behind Braunschweig United´s Football Stadium.

 Braunschweig United´s football stadium in the process of being upgraded.

No this is not the Schulgarten I was looking for, it´s the  "Eintract Braunschweig Stadion," which is somewhere near the garden I searched for this afternoon.   I thought I knew where the garden lay, having  committed  to memory the pattern of roads from Google Earth, but could I find the entrance?  No!   I recognised the street names, but it was so quiet, and there was no one about to ask.  After a fruitless walk of at least a mile,  I caught the tram back to the city, and  I´ll have another attempt to find it next week.

Braunschweig United´s training pitch.

Not even a footballer was about to shout at and ask directions!   Eintract have moved up into the first division of the Bundesliga, and will play a test match against West Ham United on July 27th.  The stadium is a building site at the moment, just like the rest of Braunschweig!   I don´t know anything about football, and have no desire to change that situation!

It is school holiday time, and the tram tracks from Weststadt into the city have been ripped out, and are being replaced.  Work started on June 27th, and is scheduled to finish on August 7th, in time for the schools to go back.  At the moment travel is very chaotic, with fewer, smaller buses than trams carrying workers and shoppers into the city.   That means a tight squeeze on most journeys, and in this hot weather, I rather dread the journeys!   New sewers are being laid in several streets, the Autobahn is having a major junction rebuilt, and the whole city seems in uproar!  


No comments:

Post a Comment