Tuesday 6 August 2013

All is Safely Gathered in.

Harvesting with a monster machine!

Yet another harvest to watch this year, and how quickly the fields have been cleared.   I have seen crop rotation over the last four years, with cereal this year, sugar beet, rape seed and a fallow year.  It is hot again today, 28c at 16.50,  although a wind is blowing and refreshing storms are expected tonight.  Wednesday will be hot and stormy, but the trams should be running again, which will make life a lot easier for me when travelling into the city.  I cannot face travelling in hot buses anymore.  

On Thursday 23c is predicted, which will make my visit to Magdeburg Cathedral and Hundertwasser's "Green Citadel" one of blissful coolness.   I'm going with a friend, and we'll catch the the 11.17am train from BS to Magdeburg station, which, owing to the flooded River Elbe, was underwater a few weeks ago.  

The chaff discharging from the back of the harvester.

I had to close the windows on field side, to prevent myself from being suffocated by the fall out from the harvester.  What an amazing machine, which harvests the short stemmed crop, (especially breed with short stalks,) separates the grain from the chaff, which is then disgorged from the rear.   The grain is transferred to a separate container pulled by another tractor.

The harvester transfers the grain along a chute and into a tractor pulled container.  

My camera has some flecks of dust on the lens which is becoming a great nuisance.  They can be seen clearly in the sky in the above photo.  I will have to avoid sky scenes, when the flecks are most obvious.   I usually try to match the dust specks with a convenient tree or bush, but eventually I will end up with lots of landscapes, trees and bushes and no sky, unless the specks can be hidden in a convenient thunder cloud.   I hope you follow what I'm talking about.   I don't think I'm suffering from heatstroke!  


No comments:

Post a Comment