Friday 2 August 2013

Janet´s Yucca is Blooming Marvellous.

On a hot, hot day, it was a welcome relief to spend some time in the cool of Janet´s house.  Mind you, I had to travel the entire distance to Querum from Timmerlah and back, on a hot bus, which is supposed to be air conditioned!  In temperatures in the early 30c´s buses need windows that can be opened, and although two small ones at the back were open, they allowed no flow of air through the bus.

Next year I will make my annual visit here early in the year and before the school holidays begin. That way I will avoid the massive improvements to the transport system that are heralded by the "school´s out" season.   At the moment, the tram lines from Weststadt and Broitzem into the city resemble scenes from war torn Syria.  Forgive me if I repeat myself, but constant heat disables my thought processes, and I cannot remember what I have previously written in this blog.  How the labourers and civil engineers have managed to work in the fifth hottest German summer on record, I do not know.  They are all very sun tanned.

On a happier note, Janet´s Yucca (left) is in full bloom, something that has never happened before!  It looks lovely, as did the rest of the plants in the  sub-tropical garden. The temperature today (Friday) is expected to reach 35c, which is no good for man nor beast, but obviously good for Yuccas.

In the sub tropical garden.

A distant gentleman sits on the terrace. 

Courgettes growing in a well watered raised bed. 

A croak of three frogs.  Spot the real one!



No comments:

Post a Comment