Sunday 28 August 2016

Tea Tasting with the Deutsch English Association

Tea, tea glorious tea!
 
I am a member here of the DEG, the German/English Association in Braunschweig.  Anyone with an interest in GB and the English language can join, and each month the group holds a meeting, with a speaker talking about anything from tea to other English inspired topics.
 
I have never before taken an interest in "Fine Teas" much preferring what I call "Railway Porter´s Tea" which is so strong, that it is almost possible to stand a teaspoon up in the mix.  My father was a tea expert, and I drank the strong stuff as a child, and it did me no harm!  I was surprised at the difference in taste of each tea, never having tasted them before one after the other.  Never again will I describe them as "coloured water."
 
The strongest was a "Brown coal" smelling and tasting tea, which is drunk with a cherry in the bottom of the cup.   Not many of us were keen on the taste, but the cherry tasted good!
 
The tea talk was given in German, by a really knowledgeable man who runs a shop in Braunschweig, who learnt his English whilst working here with the British Army.   He mentioned that he thought his English sounded "Cockney" so would not give the talk in English.   I had a chat with him after the talk, and his English sounded excellent.  My father was a "Cockney" so I am tuned into listening to the sound of a London accent with all its slang, and his English was sounded excellent to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment