Tuesday 17 May 2016

Friday 13th May. I went to buy a Ticket to Berlin, but came back with New Shoes!

 The old steam locomotive displayed outside BraWa Park office block, aka "The Toblerone" so called because it is long, tbrown and triangular!
 
A new Shopping Centre has been built behind this building near Braunschweig railway station, and on the site of the former forced labour camp at Schillstrasse. 
 
I am going to Berlin at the beginning of June, and was at the station to find out the cost of a return rail ticket.  I also popped into the coach terminal, where coaches leave each day for distant places throughout Europe.  The coach is the cheapest option, but I quickly decided against it, as I don't like being cooped up in a confined space for over two hours.   I will take the ICE train, which cost more but is faster and with more arm rest.  I have done the journey before by coach, and it was not a happy experience, as a very large man rested his arms on my arm rest for the whole journey!  Never again!

 The entrance to the new centre.
 
 The centre has taken over two years to build, and just after I arrived last year, there was a big emergency here, when a digger unearthed an unexploded bomb on the site.  A friend of mine was one of thousands who had to be moved out of the area, while the bomb was made safe.  It was here in the shopping centre that I bought new shoes instead of the rail ticket!


 The memorial garden and plaques commemorating the thousand of forced labourers who died working here.  It is a sad, quiet place and always very still, even though the new shopping centre is close to the site of the Bussing train wagon forced labour camp.
 
The wording above the wall reads, " The future has a long history" an old Jewish saying, and one we seem to ignore most of the time, because we fail to learn from history,  repeating the same mistakes over and over again.

The Memorial Park hidden in the trees at Schillstrasse.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely, as usual, Vicki. I like that Jewish saying, although, like you, it makes me sad. To quote: 'When will they ever learn...?' XX

    ReplyDelete