Wednesday 8 June 2016

A most Wonderful Visit to Berlin.

 My arrival on Thursday afternoon at Berlin´s main station, not a place for the terrified!
 
Built on several floors, with the entrance at ground level, and an upper level for information, and then three floors below with multiply platforms, it is a confusing place for the lost traveller.  I have been there twice before, and each time I´ve found it a confusing experience.
 
Because of weekend track repairs, I had no platform number on my ticket, which always induces in me a sense of terror, as I have to listen carefully for information in German about the platform updates.  Fortunately I found a helpful member of the "Help the Lost Souls" service team, who told me which information board to watch, and eventually I found my train on platform 7,  down in the station dungeons.  Each time I visit Berlin I always say to myself, "Never again," but of course I still go whenever I have the opportunity!

With "The Girls" drinking beer, fruit juices and ice cream in a cafe.

Vicki with Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels.

The Brandenburg Gate.
 
The three of us at outside the Congress Hall.


Outside the Chancellor´s Office.
 
Viewing the Reichstag Building, the meeting place of the German Government.

On board one of the many boats that circle the city for a three hour trip.  It was a great way to see all the interesting sights.


Taking photos of a long section of the Berlin Wall, left in place as a memorial to the past division of the city.
 
The Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church.

We visited this church during a rehearsal of a Bach Cantata, BWV 170, and it was wonderful to listen to the soprano practising her part with the orchestra.  How lucky to be there at that particular time, in the church with so many blue stained glass panels.

Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church - Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaiser_Wilhelm_Memorial_Church
The Protestant Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church (in German: Kaiser-Wilhelm-Gedächtniskirche, but mostly just known as Gedächtniskirche ...

"The Girls" hiding behind a bush (don´t ask me why) outside our hotel, which had good accommodation and all we could eat for breakfast.

The hotel offered good accommodation, and "The Girls" stayed in the posh bit, while I booked a "Berlin Basic" room in what is student accommodation.  It was basic, but then I only slept in it for two nights, and had everything I needed for making copious cups of English tea, a nice shower room, and a good night's sleep.

A great few days spent with good friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment