Saturday 18 June 2016

The German/English Garden party in Wolfenbüttel.

Ladies in hats busy eating cake and drinking wine on the terrace.
 
The DEG, the German/English Association holds a garden party each year, and this year´s was held in a splendid house and garden in Wolfenbüttel, a few miles outside Braunschweig.  I have visited some lovely houses during my visits here, but this one was particularly interesting, being part of a large farm complex.   It is timber framed, and has been painted white.  
 
About thirty of us sat on the terrace wearing summer clothing, and as the weather here of late has been damp and  overcast, many ladies regretted not bringing jackets to wear.   Summer has not arrived in Braunschweig yet this year,  much to our chagrin!


The splendid house belonging to our hosts in Wolfenbüttel.
The entrance led into a large open hallway,  with some very interesting family paintings hanging on the walls. 
 
I had attempted to make a hat for the occasion, but not being a lover of hats, I abandoned it half finished, and left it at home.  I expected to get away with being hatless, but that was not to be, because on my arrival, our hostess insisted that I cover my head, so I chose a little pink number with blue netting on the brim from a big box filled with "Hats for for Hatless."   I must admit I only wore it when the hostess came anywhere near my table, and it spent most of the evening lying hidden underneath a rose bush.
 
Barbara left, and myself wearing the pink floppy hat with a piece of blue netting draped around the rim.

Ladies in hats on the lawn playing some sort of "Knock down the Stick" game.
 
I never discovered the name of this game, although someone mentioned "Knock down Stonehenge" as a possible title.  Most of the ladies wore dresses, an article of clothing I do not possess, and I cannot remember the last time I wore one.  On the cool, damp evening however, those of us in trousers were  pleased we had made the right decision.
 
A lovely evening spent speaking English for a change!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment