Saturday 9 June 2012

UEFA Euro 2012 Football Fever in Braunschweig


Saturday in the city and the square is cordened off, the large screen is ready for "Public Viewing" and tonight Germany  play Portugal in the UEFA Euro 2012 Football Championships.  I'm not much of a "footer" fan myself, but I always cheer and wave the flag for England when they play, and tonight I will swop sides and cheer for Germany instead. (I haven't got a German flag at the moment.)  

The photo above shows the area outside the Martinikirche, a popular venue for markets and fairs.  Wolters Pilsener beer is much in evidence, and the company have a brewery in Braunschweig.   A good time will be had by all, especially if Germany win (which I'm sure they will.)   The weather is much improved after a very unsettled period of really heavy rain and thunderstorms.  I hope it stays dry for this evening's merry making.

The twin towered Martinikirche in the background.
Here's the entrance to the arena with the large screen.  I don't know how many people are expected to attend, and whether not not they will be seated,  but this looks a very small area for merrymakers with their black, red and gold flags, scarves, hats and bunting.  

No comments:

Post a Comment