Wednesday 13 June 2012

Green and more Green

"Have you ducks and geese had enough to eat?"
On Wednesday I took a stroll through the Buergerpark with a friend, where we were much struck by the greeness of the grass, the trees and the reflections in the water.  In the dappled sunlight, the intensity of the various shades was so refreshing.  Canada geese breed and raise their young beside the river, and many smaller mallards with ducklings throng the banks.  They must fight for their portion of food against the larger and more aggressive geese, and lady above  with her bag of bread,  induced a feeding frenzy everytime she threw a handful into the water.

The lads from the USA are staying with me at the moment, having found it impossible to find hotel accommodation in Braunschweig.  A European Business Conference is taking place in BS with 2,500 visitors, and every hotel in BS is fully booked, so the lads have had to stay with me. They did mention that they could sleep under a bridge for a couple of days, but they are here in Timmerlah in my spare room.    Fortunately they are "as  easy as clams" to get on with.  That's their description of themselves, and seems to be correct!   They are researching family history, so they go out in the morning and return late at night, and I don't see much of them.  They travel to Hamburg on Friday, and fly back to Portland, Oregon in the USA on Saturday morning.

Boat on the River Oker, that flows through the Buergerpark.
On Tuesday evening I watched the tennis from Queen's Club, and was much taken with the greeness of the court.  The contrast between the orange clay courts at Roland Garros in Paris was quite a shock to the eye!    Mind you, weeks of rain in southern England must have encouraged the grass to grow.  I think Andy Murray had problems on the slippery court in his match on Wednesday, and he did not play well.  I hope he gets his act together for Wimbledon in July.

Right, it's Thursday morning and the lads have gone to search the State Archives in Wolfenbuettel for the day, and I must get my act together.  This afternoon I'll meet J in "Graff" for a hot chocolate and women's chat, and this evening I'm singing in the choir in Gliesmarode, so a busy day of easy living for me.
Waterlilies.
Boaters on the River Oker.





No comments:

Post a Comment