Sunday 17 June 2012

In the Botanical Garden.

The weather was better today, and started bright and sunny, only to cloud up around lunch time.  However by early afternoon, it was warm and sunny, so walked to Weserstrasse and caught the M3 tram to the Botanical Garden, a faculity of Braunschweig University.  The plaque left, shows Professor Johann Blasius, the founder of the Garden.  Originally started in 1828 on a smaller site on the opposite bank of the River Oker, Professor Blasius eventually bought this larger area and founded the garden in 1840 on the site of a former mansion.  By 1900 there were 2700 species of plants growing outside and another 1900 in greenhouses.  Some of the  trees planted in 1840 still remain today. 

Although badly damaged in the war, the garden has been totally reconstructed, and in 1985 an approximately 800m2 baroque garden was laid out.  That was augmented in 1989 with an area for ferns, all growing in a small ravine complete with a waterfall.  In 1995, the garden was expanded to about 4 acres, and is used mainly for research. The garden is open every day, and there are plenty of lovely little corners in which to sit and enjoy the plants or read a book.

Waterliles grow in one of the many tropical greenhouse, and can be seen floating on the still water.  I visited this greenhouse last year in a heat wave, and stayed for a matter of minutes because it was so hot.  I once  knew the names of all my flowers, but now cannot remember any of them, (well I know a rose when I see one) so maybe someone would like to buy me a "I Spy Flowers and Plants" book for Christmas.   The plants are labelled in Latin and German, so that was no real help to me.  (This photo is on the right because it will not go into the centre.  Do not ask me why.  The blog format is being temperamental tonight.) 

The ravine with ferns and a water Naiad.

This area was delightful, very cool and verdant, with the water playing a gentle trickle as it cascaded down the rocks.  A naked Naiad sits and surveys her realm, I hope she has some warm clothes for the German winter!

Red Roses in the rose garden.  I sat down in a pleasant bower to enjoy the scent of the garden, only to have an elderly man sit almost beside me and promptly light up his smelly pipe.  I was not amused and decided to move on!  How do you smoke a pipe in a rose garden?













No comments:

Post a Comment