Saturday 28 July 2012

The Olympic Cyclists pass through Dorking, my old home town.

I watched the olympic road race cycling   this afternoon, and got quiet excited to see the cyclists pass through my old home town of Dorking in Surrey, up the Box Hill Zig Zag to the top, and onto Esher, through Richmond Park and eventually to the finish line at Buckingham Palace.  It was a pity team GB missed out on the medals, but the race was very exciting to watch.  I've walked from the bottom of Box Hill to the top, and it took me longer than today's entire race, but then I don't have road racers thighs.
The temperature  here is only 25c today, and thank goodness it is cooler, as yesterday at 32c was enough to make me lose the will to live!   Timmerlah is a nice little village, but in order to walk the .75 miles to the tram stop, I have to cross open, unshaded fields,  and in these high temperatures, I would suffered heat stroke half way along the path.   I do need my daily walk, but today I made up for my lack of exercise with an early 2 mile stroll, and later with a walk to Weststadt and back for some shopping, a distance of about 2.5 miles, and I feel much better for it.  Now I can sit and watch the olympics and not feel guilty.

This afternoon I did some last minute washing, so that tomorrow I can do the ironing (I hate ironing,) and pack my suitcase for my holiday in Heidelberg.   On Monday I leave Timmerlah at 07.00 for a coach tour to Rothenberg, Sinsheim and Heidelberg with Timmerlah friends, and the tour schedule tells me I'm in for an interesting few days of sightseeing and a stay in a nice hotel.   July has turned out to be a very busy month.   I need a holiday!  

The cyclists somewhere in the Richmond area.

No comments:

Post a Comment