Thursday 26 July 2012

Up Front with the Driver!


Now for one of the highlights of my weekend, a driver's eye view from the cabin of the IC 2045 coming home from Wuppertal on Monday afternoon.  The day was hot, and the driver had left the sliding doors open, so I stood and watched the action.  Here the train is speeding over a canal bridge, and look, no hands!   His windscreen of squashed flies and other detritus needs a bit of a wipe over!   I mentioned to the driver, that I didn't think it would be possible to get such an interesting view on the "Swindon to London Paddington Intercity!"   It was a very exciting few minutes at high speed, and one of those moments that sends a quiver down your spine.  Fascinating!  The train had started its journey in Cologne and terminated in Leipzig, a journey across much of Germany.

I was not travelling on one of the very fast  ICE (Intercity Express) trains, but bought a cheaper ticket on this similar train, but with stops at Bielefeld, Guetesloe, Minden and Dortmund amongst others.  These places I remember so well from "BFBS" British Forces Broadcasting Service during the 1960s,  which provided home news and music  for servicemen in post war Germany.  The names still have a historical feel about them.

At this time the train was 40 minutes late, due to a signal failure near Cologne, but at Hannover station it was due for a 20 minute stop, but restarted after only 5 minutes.  I arrived in Braunschweig only 9 minutes late, but it took me another hour to get home to Timmerlah, where I immediately switched on the kettle and caught up on my day's tea drinking.  It was the end of a lovely Remscheid weekend with friends, and an interesting train ride home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment