Friday 1 June 2012

Off to Hamburg for the Weekend.

File:AlsterPanorama.jpg
A panoramic view of Hamburg beside the artificially created Lake Alster, formed by damming the river.

 
I'm visiting Hamburg this weekend (with wet weather gear) and returning on Monday, when I will post news of my visit.  This Sunday afternoon Meggie and I will take a boat trip on Lake Alster, a view of which is above.

Hamburg was founded in the 9th century at the mouth of the River Alster and used as a port.  The water flooded the moats of the city's fortifications, and the Alster was dammed in 1190 to power a watermill.   In 1235 another dam was built to power a second mill, which then changed the shape of the river and formed a large lake.  

The weather looks a bit "iffy" for the weekend, so I must take some warm clothes and gloves!   It is always colder in Hamburg, so I'm told! 

You can view the hotel on Google Earth: Heikotel-Hotel am Stadtpark, Fluegestrasse 5-6, 22303 Hamburg-Winterhude.  

No comments:

Post a Comment