Tuesday 19 June 2012

Crop Spraying/PowerPoint/Footer/Smelly Cheese.


Well, the crop that I thought was winter feed for the animals has turned out to be barley,  (I think,) and in the photo above you can see the ears swaying in the wind and starting to turn yellow.   I must treat myself to an "I-Spy Cereal Crops" to go with my "I-Spy Flowers and Plants."  Last year I thought a crop of beet was parsnips.  Oh well, it's not possible to know everything!  

Today I visited Guenter's English group and gave my Power Point talk entitled, "My Life in Devizes."  The group is for beginners, and as I showed the photos, I spoke slowly and hoped they would understand, (with the help of some translation into German by G.)  The group were very friendly, and afterwards we had coffee and biscuits and a good chat about the problems and advantages of learning a foreign language.  Apparently it is one of the best ways of keeping the aging brain active and young.   It's referred to as "Brain Training" or "Brain Jogging," although I'm  more into "Brain very slow Dawdling" most of the time.   

I came home at lunch time to watch some tennis from Eastbourne and tonight will watch England play footer against the Ukraine.  If it gets too nail biting, I will have to watch the repeat tomorrow.   I went shopping later in the afternoon and bought some of my favourite "Really Smelly German Cheese," and after making a sandwich, the whole flat is now permeated with a strong, rotting smell.  Wonderful!   The weather remains changeable, but very warm and humid.

The photo above shows the crop of wheat (I think) being sprayed in another field.  There is a field of Rapeseed  here too, whose seedpods look ready to burst. I snapped my photo and walked past quickly, as I didn't want to get a lungful of whatever it was being sprayed onto the field and into the air.   I'm sure it was harmless, but nonetheless not pleasant.

No comments:

Post a Comment