Saturday 23 June 2012

"Pride & Prejudice" in German.

Herr Bennet with daughters Elizabeth and Jane.
Friday flashed by!  By the time I'd got up, made tea, had an egg for breakfast, done a little washing and a bit of housework, (the vacuum cleaner and I have only managed to meet up three times in the last 10 weeks) it was midday.   It was good to have a quiet day, although early afternoon I popped into the city to withdraw cash and buy a new monthly bus/tram pass.  It was just as well I renewed it, because the ticket inspectors were out in force on the public transport.   I also visited  "Graff" to buy a CD of Faure's "Requiem" which I hope to sing for the first time  with Dauntsey's Choir this autumn.  I was disappointed, as I couldn't find a  reasonably priced Naxos CD for around 6.99E.  For 19.99E, I could have bought several copies, but £16.10 seems so expensive compared with Amazon UK prices.  I came away disappointed, but today I will try another bookshop, as I need to be familiar with the piece before I start rehearsals in September.

Herr and Frau Jane Bingley, Herr Darcy (very nice) with Frau Elizabeth Darcy.
The photos above show scenes from "Pride and Prejudice," part of which I watched in German on "Arte," an arts channel on the tv. The dubbing into German was very good and well synchronised, and it was refreshing to watch "Herr (Wet Shirt) Darcy" emerge again from his dip in the pond.   The tennis from Eastbourne has been broadcast every afternoon this week on Eurosport, so I swopped channels between romantic costume drama and wet grass court drama at the flick of a button.

Last night I witnessed Germany dominate Greece in the Euro 2012 Football drama from Gdansk.  Germany won 4:2 and I'm glad I watched until the bitter end.  I usually switch off at half time when the tension gets the better of my fingernails! 

The sun is half shining here today, so I'm out walking, buying milk and fruit, watching the ladies tennis final, going into the city and looking for a CD of Faure's Requiem, sorting my music for the singing festival in Wolfsburg on Sunday, pottering about and drinking tea, reading and writing German and generally enjoying life in a foreign language!

No comments:

Post a Comment