Wednesday 27 June 2012

A Damp Walk in the Buergerpark.

In spite of the awful weather, three of us met today at the VW-Hall for our weekly English walk in the park.   This summer is the worst weatherwise that I have experienced in my many stays here, as I usually enjoy plenty of sunshine and it is always warmer than in the UK.  The Gulf Stream is obviously in the wrong place this year.  The River Oker runs through the park, and the photos show the brave souls who ventured out in various kinds of boats.  The boat to the left seems to be returning from a party, judging by the plates of half eaten food and beer cans strewn across the tables.  The helmsman, with his hand on his hip, seems very unconcerned about the bad weather.    The water is very clear, and to the right you can see the ferns waving like maidens' hair just below the surface.   There are several hire boat companies in Braunschweig, and last year I took a guided tour at water level with Hamburg Meggie,  when she stayed here for a few days.   The weather then was very warm, and it was lovely to see the many beautiful houses that line the bank of the river at cool, verdant duck level. 

Below an umbrella party passes by, and I do hope this was not somebody's special birthday outing on the river.   It drizzled on and off, and as we left the park the sky grew very black and stormy.  As I walked back towards the Cathedral the heavens opened, and I dashed for cover under a shop front, which fortunately turned out to be a shoe and handbag shop.   I had a good wander around and wondered whether I really need yet another smart bag!   I reached the Cathedral as the bells rang out, and in time for the short service with the lovely organ accompaniment.

My spider has not returned, and I must assume that he/she has gone to the big cobweb in the sky where all good spiders go.  

Enjoying the damp conditions at water level.

Riding the rapids in a rubber dingy.

No comments:

Post a Comment