Tuesday 26 June 2012

Spider/Doorhandles/Rathaus/Rainbow

The spider's empty corner.
No, the photo left is not a picture of tile grouting drying in my bathroom, it is a photo of a corner where a little spider had been living in his/her web for the past three weeks.  I'm no lover of spiders, but this little soul with his blob of a body and thin, long legs was no threat, so I left her alone and watched him grow larger each day.  I sometimes blew on her web, just to wake him up in the morning, but she never stirred. However, this morning he has gone, and is nowhere to be found.  What has happened?  I hope he hasn't been eaten by a bigger spider!    Enough of this frivolity, now down to the serious business.   Today I visited the "Rathaus," the Town Hall, in order to let the authorities know that I am living in the city.  I took my passport, and expected to complete some forms as I did last year.  I'm only staying for four months this time, and was told by the pleasant receptionist that I needn't sign in, as I'm here for such a short time.  Well, that is one thing less to think about.   As I came out I noticed the rather attractive handles on the large glass entrance doors of the Rathaus, complete with shields of lions rampant, the symbol of Braunschweig. 

On one side is a monkey and on the other an owl, and these allude to the story of  "Till Eulenspiegel,"  the tale of the Braunschweig prankster who baked bread in the shape of animals, and  in the process, made himself some money.   They are rather nice I think, and I've never noticed them until today. 

I then left to catch the tram, missed one and caught then next, which led me meet a friend and a whole series of coincidences, much too long to relate here!   I can only  say, "It's a very small world."

The elaborate doors handles at the Rathaus entrance.


The Rathaus was built between the years 1894 and 1900.  Weddings are held here, and on a Friday the "Square of German Unity" in front of the building is thronged with newly wed couples and their guests, complete with tables and chairs, champagne, balloons and much merrymaking.  There is also tradition here that anyone who reaches the age of 30 and is not married must to clean the Rathaus steps, which of course, are  deliberately made dirty by so called friends before the poor cleaner arrives.   Last year a singer from the choir had the task of clearing up hundreds of bottle tops strewn across the steps.  He is still unmarried!

The view from my window of Monday's rainbow over Weststadt.

No comments:

Post a Comment