Sunday 24 June 2012

A Serious Case of Misclassification.

I'm not one to be easily defeated, so I went out searching for Faure again yesterday, and visited several places where I thought he might be lurking!    All without success unfortunately, until I returned to "Graff" my favourite bookshop, thinking that I'd buy an expensive copy of the Requiem as an early Christmas gift to myself.  While searching through the "Composers G&H" section, there, placed in the wrong  box,  was a cheaper CD of the Faure!   Yippeeee!  6.99E is more my style for learning a new piece of music. 

I've listened to the CD several times already, and recognise some of the music,  but in 40 years of choral singing, I've never sung this work before.  I'm a bit "hooked on" Bach, Mozart, Handel and music written before 1800.  How narrow is my musical mind?  Very!

This afternoon in Wolfsburg (home of the VW car plant) our choir "Chorverein Concordia-Brunsviga" are singing in a "Day of Music and Singing."   We'll perform a mixed programme of works, with three popular songs, "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" in English, and  "Happy Days are here again" and  "To Wander is the Miller's Joy" both in German.  The other three works are choruses from Verdi and Mascagni operas, all sung in German. 

It will be a lovely occasion, with our choir dressed in their bright red jackets, white blouses and black trousers.  This time last year, a similar "Day of Song" was spoilt by torrential rain, but today it is bright and cheerful with pleasant periods of sunshine.  I will post news and photographs of our excursion on Monday's blog.  Tonight on my return, and after drinking copious amounts of tea, I shall watch England v Italy in the Euro 2012 Football Championships.  My fingernails are in for a good nibbling tonight!

"Come on England, win, Win, WIN."

No comments:

Post a Comment