Tuesday 4 June 2013

A Few Observations on a Quiet Tuesday.

After a busy Monday, I needed a quiet Tuesday, which is normally my shopping and washing day.  I hadn't enough to warrant putting on  the washing machine, but I needed some shopping, as I was out of eggs, gurkens and Würstchen, little German sausages, that I cut up and mix in a green salad.   I walked to "REWE" in Weststadt and did the shopping, and while walking remembered a few observations, about which I had forgotten to write.

1. Last week, not sure of the day, I heard the cuckoo for the first time this year.
Vollbild anzeigen
2.  Over the last few days I have saved several worms who had lost their way, and were drying up on the warm path that runs from Timmerlah to Weststadt.  I picked them up and put them in the shade of the grass.  I´m not the only member of the "Save a Worm from Drying Out Group,"  some of my friends do it too.
Vollbild anzeigen
3.  As I walked the path today I notice what I thought was a brick in the middle of the path.   On closer inspection, it turned out to be a square, seeded loaf of bread, obviously dropped from somebody´s shopping bag.   I gave it a kick, and then trod on it to open it up for the birds to eat.  On the walk back the path was covered with birds, all eating from the bread I had so kindly broken up for them.
Vollbild anzeigen
4. Every year the snails here seem to be getting bigger.  During last week´s wet weather, the path was covered with specimens of all sizes, some as big as a 50p coin, others really tiny.
Vollbild anzeigen
5.  The torrential rain last Thursday filled the ditches around the fields to overflowing, and when  walking back from shopping, I had to paddle through a few metres of ankle deep water, that was flowing across the path.The bottom of my trousers were soaked and the soles of my lovely blue suede shoes are parting company from the uppers.
Vollbild anzeigen
Which all brings me to this afternoon, when I watched the tennis from Paris, and...................
Vollbild anzeigen


went over to the neighbours for a Grillparty.  (German uses many English words, but barbecue is not one of them.) Above you can see the table in the lovely glass conservatory, complete with log fire/oven on which the sausages and meats were cooked.  We drank beer and wine, and a good time was had by all. 

Tomorrow I must eat less, but that will be difficult, as I go to a civic reception in Schloss Richmond to welcome the childrens' choir from Bath, who will sing in the cathedral on Thursday.


No comments:

Post a Comment