Monday 24 June 2013

"The Romans are coming."

On Sunday Braunschweig held a special day for children, when several roads through the city centre were closed to traffic, and were taken over by bouncy castles, swings, climbing frames, tree climbing, bow and arrows and all the other rough activities children find so interesting.   In a corner near the cathedral and the "Bath Rose,"  (seen in bloom to the left of the photo,) was a display of copies of a Roman soldier's armour, a breast plate, chain-mail vest, helmet and assorted hatchets, spears, pikes and arrows.   

It was a fascinating display, and I was able to try on the helmet, seen below, which was very heavy to wear.  Quite how a soldier stood up, yet alone fought in this gear, I do not know!   The photo above  shows the chest and shoulder armour, all beautifully crafted and complete with hooks to secure the several pieces to another.  I didn't try this on, I might add, although one of the men helping did offer to assist me!   I declined!  

A soldier's helmet, with assorted implements and a chain-mail vest far top right of photo.

I tried on the helmet, which was very heavy, and worn over a padded cap.  I didn't take a close up photo of the chain-mail vest, which I regret, and which weighed a ton and smelt of oil!   I was told the number of links needed to make a vest, and workshops full of workmen must have been continuously employed making the "underwear knitted with wire!"


The detail of the hooks and loops securing the back of the breast plate.

I would not like to have worn this, as once hooked inside you would feel trapped, until someone released you.  It must have been so uncomfortable to wear.   The men manning the display pointed out, that this armour was worn by big men with big muscles!  Certainly not for the ladies I think.

 A little boy tries on the helmet and holds a pike, while a chain-mail vest is held in front of him.


The poster in the background says, "The Romans are Coming," and is announcing an exhibition to be held in the State Museum in September, detailing life in the Roman army.  I'm sorry I will miss it, but I will be back in the UK by the end of August.



No comments:

Post a Comment