Sunday 29 April 2012

Looking for Ancestors in the Churchyard.

Timmerlah Church
Last year Mark from Oregon USA contacted me via my blog, searching for his ancestors, one of whom lived in Timmerlah in the early 1800's.  I took many photos of the church, obviously a place where his great, great grandfather would have visited, or in which he might have been baptised or married.  No trace of his name was found in the Timmerlah church records, but with the help of a German researcher, he eventually traced his relative via the central Braunschweig church records, now kept in Wolfenbuettel.

Mark is now trying to trace the wives of his relatives, and has sent me a list of names.  This morning I wandered among the headstones and could only find one name from the list.   The church was busy, as a comfirmation service was in progress, and I could hear the singing while searching among the headstones.

Timmerlah church was built ca. 1799 and has an onion shaped tower.  I like the colourful clock face. 
The photo below shows the maypole at the entrance to Church Street in Timmerlah.  I did not notice this last year, but it could be new.  It is a traditional feature of German villages and towns, and contains the name plaques of all the local businesses.  (I think this is what it is, but I will check my facts.) 
It is not so hot today, so comfortable for a good walk this afternoon.  I will retrace my haunts from last year, and hopefully walk to the Saltzgitter Mittelland Canal, a walk of around 4 miles return. This part of the Lower Saxony countryside is very flat, so excellent for walking.
Maypole with the shields of Timmerlah businesses.


No comments:

Post a Comment