Saturday 28 April 2012

New German Folk Songs

Folk songs for four voices and "Aennchen vonTharau."
We are learning some new folk songs at choir, in four parts for sopranos, altos, bass and tenors.   I had to sing at sight and read the German at the same time, so it was quite a challenge.  Of course, once I know the tune, it all becomes much easier.   Everytime a choir member has a birthday or some special anniversary, the choir sings to them their favourite song.   On Thursday they sat me down in front of the singers and sang "Little Ann from Tharau" to me, my favourite German folk song.  I sang along with them, as I know the chorus off  by heart.  I shed one little tear, for when I left last October, as a goodbye, exactly the same thing had happened, although on that occasion I cried bucketsful!  

The songs and music are delightful, and of course sound so typically German.  Apart from the language, it is difficult to put a finger on what makes the music sound German, but of course, what makes our folksongs sound so English? 

Yesterday I went into town and bought some flip flops for easy wearing in the flat.  My suitcase was crammed full of esentials and near the 20kg limit, and I had no space for extras.  The city was busy and I visited my second home, "Graff" the big bookshop, where I can sit in a corner and read and ponder the meaning of life, if it has one!  Today is quiet, as I want to watch the WTA Tennis from Stuttgart this afternoon.  I'll pop out for some shopping later, as on Sunday the shops are closed.   This evening I'll watch a programme about the German ballet.   I watch the news channels too, particularly the ones with a continuous stream of subtitles.  It is a good way to learn new vocabulary.

It is 25c here today, so I shall find some time to sit on the sun terrace and an enjoy the warmth.
From my window I have a good view of the mainline from Braunschweig to Hannover, and for connections to wider Germany, Switzerland, France, Poland and countries in the East.  The above photo shows a Regional double-decker train heading towards Hannover.  I like riding on the top deck, as the view of the countryside is interesting.  The German rail network is very modern, and what a pity we cannot have double-deckers in GB.  Much of our infrastructure is old, many stations are listed buildings and our bridges are too low.  A second deck turns a four carriage train into eight carriages, a neat way of solving overcrowding.

No comments:

Post a Comment