Thursday 26 April 2012

Timmerlah and the Weserstrasse Tram Terminal.

I live on the top floor of the house to the left, with the dark brown roof, surrounded by fields, and in the distance, about a mile away, is a windpark.  The building of windparks in the UK is a somewhat contentious issue, but here I live side by side with the mills, without any problems.  In fact they are good for telling me how strong the wind is blowing, and one "Zythrus," has become an old friend on the hill.  He is not in this picture, but he will be merrily turning away somewhere to the left. 

I cannot report on "Midsummer's Night Dream" because at the last moment I chickened out, put my feet up, made tea and stayed home.  Since I landed in Hannover last Sunday, my hectic social life has made me weary, and last night became an "Early summer's Night In."  I need a rest!  This morning I walked 1.25 miles to Weststadt and did some more food shopping, and looked for some flip flops to wear around the flat, but found none I liked.  I will have to go into the city tomorrow for a good look around.   I walked past Weserstrasse tram terminal where the trams change direction on a looped track.  The photos below show two of the trams, the red one standing below is at the Weserstrasse stop where I catch a tram into the city and Gliesmarode.  I sing with the choir tonight, and I'm so looking forward to meeting everyone again.
Braunschweig  has an inexpensive and extensive 35 km electric tram system.  First opened in 1897, it has been modernized,  including a 3.2 km extension in 2007.   The system is unique as the only European railway or tram system to use the 1100 mm gauge, this being supplemented in stages with a 1435 mm third rail, to allow future connections to the main railway network.
Tram lines:
M1: Wenden – Stöckheim M2: Siegfriedviertel – Heidberg M3: Volkmarode – Weststadt Weserstraße M4: Radeklint – Helmstedter Straße M5: Hauptbahnhof – Broitzem
Comings and goings at Saalestrasse tram stop.
Trams at the Weserstrasse terminal, with the Broitzem communications tower in the background

No comments:

Post a Comment