Saturday 18 August 2012

Avoiding the Heat in Braunschweig and Timmerlah.

The weather forecast was correct for today with a temperature of  31c and whispy cloud, which felt humid, but not as unpleasant as full, hot sunshine in a cloudless blue sky.  I went out early to avoid the heat, and took my seat in the cathedral for the 12noon organ recital, which is part of Saturday's 30 minute service.  Today  was  a    celebration of the  music  of  Juan Bautista Cabanilles, a  Spanish composer and organist who was born near Valencia in 1644 and who died three hundred years ago in 1712. Two of his works were performed by Cantor Ruediger Wilhelm, the organist from St Andreas Church, the Passacaglia No. 1 and Tiento No. 7, both of which I have not heard before. 

The third work celebrated the birth of Frederick the Great in Berlin in 1712.   We listened to "Ricercar No. 6"  BWV 1079, a late Renaissance or early Baroque instrumental  form, composed by my friend Mr. J.S Bach.   The term "Ricercar" means to search out, and the work wandered from a central theme, exploring the notation, and taking it in different directions, before coming to a highly decorated and flourishing conclusion, with some very deep bass notes on the organ, which made the Cathedral walls vibrate.   I have heard this work somewhere before, but the music of Cabanilles was new to me.

I bought myself a double fish and salad baguette for lunch, (do you remember P?)   It was very tasty, and I finished it off on the tram coming home, ready for the tennis at 2pm.    Is anyone else watching the matches from Cincinnati?   The final is on Sunday, and with a temperature of 35c forecast, I think I will be watching and not going out anywhere,  except to sit in the garden with a good book, the newspapers and a beer!

No comments:

Post a Comment