Monday 13 August 2012

Back to Normal Today!

Up the steps to my front door.
After three hectic weeks of visits, it was back to a normal week today, with a visit to the English groups in Gliesmaroder.   It was nice to see everyone again after a three week absence.  The second group today cooked a lunch from an English recipe, which tasted really good.  It consisted of large, hollowed out mushrooms, stuffed with hazelnuts, the chopped up mushroom stems, chopped herbs and melted butter, all baked in the oven and covered with melted cheese.   We each drank a small glass of wine, sat at tables in the sunshine and had a good time together.   Next week is my last visit before I fly home in early September, so I will take wine and snacks for a "Goodbye Party"  with the groups, and say a tearful, "Aufwiedersehen, see you again in 2013."

The photo above shows my front door with phlox growing in the garden, and looking out towards the harvested cornfields in Weststadt.  It has been warm today, and this afternoon I visited J and G in Querum, and we enjoyed a lovely walk through shady woodland and beside the rivers Wabe, which rises in the Elm Forest, and the river Schunter, which joins the Oker at some point and flows through Braunschweig.   J had made a tasty cake which we ate with a good cup of English tea.

On Tuesday I shall do nothing much except a bit of early morning shopping before the day gets too hot.   The weather forecast predicts 26c and getting hotter throughout the week, so it will soon be time for me to hide from the sun again.  I do hate really hot weather.

The last of the corn is being harvested tonight.





No comments:

Post a Comment