Friday 24 August 2012

Here, There and Everywhere on Thursday.

In spite of the weather forecast saying that it is cooler, yesterday seemed just a hot as ever.  I did some early morning shopping, using the bus both ways, and treated myself to some very tasty tomato flavoured Italian rolls, which I filled with cheese, green salad and garlic sauce, and enjoyed for lunch.   I later went into the city and caught the 480 bus to Walle, to meet M, E and R, three choir members, for an  afternoon sitting in a beautiful garden, chatting and drinking beer. (beer improves our singing.)  The photo shows M's garden, with a Swiss chalet style house at the bottom of her garden.  We had a good time talking and laughing, and later enjoyed currywurst, before we drove back to Gliesmarode Turm for our choir practise.  I love singing and like to sing in German, but my choir likes to sing in English too, and last night we practised, "Once in Royal David's City" to be sung at Christmas in English.   Hearing this carol reminds me of my 45 years of singing in choirs and church Christmas services, and  as soon as the words of the first verse are sung, I always suffer  pangs of warm remembrance.   I'm sad that I won't be here to sing at Christmas, but instead I shall be "singing my socks off" somewhere in Devizes.
 
 
When writing a blog, it is a good idea to have a repeated theme that gives the daily blogs a thread to follow.  It has been pointed out to me by G that my theme seems to be beer, which I do like drinking, but only in small quantities I might add.  The photo right shows alcohol free beer, which I do not drink, but which looks more respectable that the 4.9% version I usually imbibe.  Two friends had to drive to choir practise, so they drank the alcohol free version, while R and myself drank the real stuff.  Our practise went well, although we are now singing in a smaller, ground floor room at Gliesmarode Turm, which catches the setting sun, and was really too warm for comfort last night.   The choir is happier singing in the larger room upstairs which costs more to heat in the winter months.  A vote was taken, and the choir decided to sing upstairs again, with everyone paying an extra Euro to cover the costs.  I will not be here to pay, but I will come again next year to make my contribution and sing with the sopranoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment