Sunday 5 August 2012

Wednesday's Trip on Concorde at Sinsheim Technical Museum.

After Wednesday morning's hearty breakfast, (all German breakfasts are hearty) we travelled from the Hotel Hirsch in Rothenberg to the "Technical Museum" in Sinsheim.   What a place, with a wonderful collection of historic vehicles and aircraft mounted on high pedestals, and with visitor access.  I headed straight for Concorde, and as you can see, she is mounted at a steep angle, and when I walked inside, the balancing mechanism in my ears became rather confused.   A Tupolev TU-144 supersonic aircraft is  displayed beside the Air France Concorde, and this is the only museum in the world to display both aircraft together.   I walked inside both aircraft and looked at the flight decks, the furnishings and read the information about how both aircraft were transported to the museum several years ago.  Both flew  to an airport as near as possible to the museum, and then having had their wings clipped, were brought by road and river to the museum.   I went inside most of the aircraft, even a "Vicker's Viscount"  a similar aircraft to one on which I travelled to Malta in 1962.  Below is a "Junkers" plane from the 1920s with a German "not sure what" behind!   It is impossible to write about all the things I saw, but the photos below give a taste of the museum.   The historic, highly polished German cars were very interesting, especially those displayed with photos of them in use during the 1930/40s.  The entire collection of vehicles must be worth millions.

An IMax 3D cinema is on the site, and we had inclusive tickets to see a 3D film that afternoon.  Unfortunately a technical problem meant the cinema was closed, and I for one, was rather disappointed.  I have never seen a 3D film, and my choice of "The Wonders of the Deep" with sharks swimming towards me, and octopus tentacles half strangling me would have been terrifying experience but all good fun.   Shame! 


A Junkers and a JU 52.


This is the largest fair ground organ in the world.  I like fairground organs, and this one cost 1 Euro a time to play, and what a great, joyous sound it produced.   For each of the 5 Euros I fed into the machine, I heard a  different, jolly tune, and at one point several of us stood, sang and danced to the music.  Ahhh,  I want one.

A collection of cots, cradles, baby and child playthings are displayed in the foreground.  The little boy seems to be searching for his potty!

No comments:

Post a Comment