Sunday 19 August 2012

Some Like it Hot in Timmerlah. (not me)

Gathering the hay in the blazing midday heat.  Farmers must be tough skinned!

Today was the hottest day of the year, only 35c in Timmerlah, but hotter in western Germany, with up to 38c near Cologne.   I went out this morning before 9am, hoping to get a walk in before the real heat arrived, but by 9.30am it was already too hot to be in the sun, so I came home and prepared to stay all day. 

The time has gone quickly. I completed two evil sudukos, but still have a third I simply cannot solve.   I've resorted to logic, with an initial guess at a pair of numbers, which will probably prove themselves wrong with only three squares left to complete.  Never mind, my well used rubber can obliterate my attempt in a matter of seconds, and I will have another go, as I'm determined to solve the evil puzzle before dusk.  

I watched a couple of history programmes, and also a programme about Janpanese fishermen and their battle against giant jellyfish.   These creatures fill their nets leaving no space for small fish, and an attempt has been made to cook and eat the jellyfish as a delicacy.   The film showed that, unfortunately, most Japanese people preferred not to eat giant jellyfish, and by the look of the pale, rubbery flesh, and even when disguised with an ample green salad, I tended to agreed with them.

There is open-air tango dancing in a park in BS this evening, and I was invited to go along, but I will give it a miss in this heat and that is a pity, as I missed the dancing last year too.  The ladies tennis semi-final from Cincinnati is on tonight, and I shall watch that with the minimal amount of activity and while drinking tea.    Tomorrow it will only be 32c, ahhh a little cooler!


No comments:

Post a Comment